Thursday, June 9, 2011

Commencement 2011: speaker Marti Smithsund


Edmonds Community College holds its 44th annual commencement ceremony 7:30 p.m., Friday, June 17 at Comcast Arena, 2000 Hewitt Ave., Everett.

This year, the college will award 2,022 degrees and certificates including 650 transfer degrees, 845 career degrees and certificates, 405 GEDs and 122 adult high school diplomas. It is the college’s largest graduating class in more than 10 years. This year, the college commencement ceremony has been moved to Comcast Arena to accommodate the large number of graduates and their friends and families who wish to celebrate with them.

The student speakers are Marti Smithsund of Seattle who will graduate with her Project Management certificate and Omar Willis of Mill Creek who has earned his Associate of Arts degree.

Smithsund, who holds a bachelor’s degree in zoology from the University of California, Santa Barbara, came to Edmonds CC to update her skills after working as a corporate trainer. She enrolled after attending a Project Management program open house. Her husband also retrained mid-career at the college, earning an Advanced Paralegal Certificate.
“I’m preparing myself for new opportunities in a changing economy. I feel a sense of urgency – to use (and not waste) the talents I’ve been given, cultivated over years with training and experience.” — student Marti Smithsund

In her own words, more about Marti:

Why Edmonds CC? I attended the Project Management open house won the raffle, and when I picked up my prize months later, I met with and afterwards I talked to the instructor, Claudia Levi, and decided to enroll.

Biggest challenge
It has been more than 20 years since my first college graduation and returning to school was an act of faith.

Best college experience
This adventure has been a rocket booster: an infusion of new ideas, a freshening of skills and, what I had not anticipated — a renewal.

Advice for students
Even if you’re not sure what your academic goals are, you can be confident that action and momentum will lead to something worthwhile. This has been far truer than I ever imagined. And so very much fun!

What’s next?
Find a job in project management, keep learning, and continue the adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Marti is a stellar presenter -- expect a humorous, honest, moving speech!

    ReplyDelete