The Snohomish County Arts Commission seeks Washington State artists to submit original photo-based artwork for the 2012 Snohomish County Photography Contest. The photo entries that best respond to the theme of PLAY will be selected for a group exhibit. A purchase prize of $1,000 dollars will be awarded to one photographer. There is a $25 fee to submit up to three images.
"PLAY. It is an activity which proceeds within certain limits of time and space, in a visible order, according to rules freely accepted, and outside the sphere of necessity or material utility. The play-mood is one of rapture and enthusiasm, and is sacred or festive in accordance with the occasion. A feeling of exaltation and tension accompanies the action." —Johan Huizinga, Homo Ludens
... Play was derived from plega in Anglo-Saxon, which means to sing, dance, clap, quick movements and gestures. A creative process in which we learn, challenge, and develop, play reveals our relationship to the world and to those in it. Possibilities abound.
The deadline for submission is September 10. A group exhibit is scheduled from October 1 to November 1, at the Snohomish County Campus in downtown Everett, 3000 Rockefeller Ave. with an artist reception to be held October 5.
- Artwork must be original photography, photo based or mixed media with photography as the main element.
- Artwork must be created within the last two (2) years.
- Photographs must be framed or gallery wrapped and created to archival standards. The maximum size: 20” x 30” x 2” / minimum 8” x 10” x 1/4” – matted, framed and ready to hang.
- Photo Submissions must not contain obscenity, explicit sexual material, nudity, profanity, graphic violence, calls or incitement to violence, commercial solicitation or commercial promotion. Submissions must not contain content or images that could be considered abusive, inflammatory, denigrating, or disrespectful. The selection committee will have the final authority to determine appropriateness of selected works.
- Photographs must be signed and numbered.
- Photo captions must accompany all submissions, and should include the subject of the image, the location the image was taken, and the name of the photographer(s).
- For a photo in which a person is recognizable, you must secure a model release from the subject or, in the case of a minor, the subject’s parent or guardian and provide it to Snohomish County upon request. Photos that violate or infringe upon another person’s rights, including but not limited to copyright, are not eligible.
The competition is open to artists residing in the state of Washington. Artists will be selected on the basis of the following criteria:
- Artistic quality and strength of work.
- Interpretation of the theme, Play.
- Innovation in approach
- Camera Technique
- Technical proficiency
Up to 50 photographs will be chosen for a group exhibit. Judging of the 2012 Photography Contest will be conducted by the members of the Snohomish County Arts Commission. Decisions of the judges will be final.
Materials to Submit:
- Current resume;
- A maximum of three (3) photographs
- An annotated, typewritten list identifying images by number and listing media, size (HxWxD), title, date, and a brief description;
- A money order for $25 for up-to 3 submissions – Paid to the Snohomish County Arts Commission
Every effort will be made to insure the safe handling of submitted materials. However, Snohomish County will not be responsible for any loss or damage.
Mail or deliver entries to:
Snohomish County Arts Commission
Attn: Wendy Becker
3000 Rockefeller Ave. MS #411
Everett, WA 98201